Influencing & policy
The Foundation Trust Network's policy development and influencing work is focused on promoting and protecting our members' interests against the backdrop of a rapidly changing health service and an extremely challenging financial context.
Our policy solutions are grounded in practice, developed in partnership with our members, and based on a wide-ranging knowledge of member needs and how the system works. Working closely with Government, parliamentarians and industry regulators, our understanding of policy-making and the political context ensures that the voice of NHS public providers is heard at the highest levels.
Our responses to recent consultations are available here. Amongst others, the FTN has submitted member views on the Tariff 2014-5; pricing strategy; the standard contract; the review of incentives; the review of urgent and emergency care; and the CQC's strategy. A member briefing on the new Risk Assessment Framework is also available at the foot of this page.
Here you will find FTN policy papers and reports, consultation responses, and in Westminster Watch, updates on the key issues being debated in Parliament. Our work is organised around the following themes:
- System reform Covering our work shaping the NHS reforms and overall system architecture, including the NHS England review of urgent and emergency care.
- Regulation FTN's work with key regulators - the CQC and Monitor - and an overview of the role of competition and FT boards and governors in the regulatory landscape.
- Quality With access to the FTN's work on Quality Accounts, our new work programme on the drivers of quality in the new system and a broader look at the foundation trust's corporate social responsibility role.
- Governance Providing an overview of the critical governance policy issues facing foundation trusts and NHS trusts seeking authorisation.
- Finance Key financial issues including the standard contract, access to capital, demand management, payment by results and provider economics.
- Business development The commercial activities of foundation trusts, including partnerships, new business models, mergers and acquisitions, intellectual property, tenders and procurement.
- Workforce Outlining the FTN's contribution to developing an employer-led workforce policy for the NHS.
21 January 2014 |
Care Quality Commission Submission from the Foundation Trust Network (October, 2013)
28 August 2013 |
The FTN's member briefing on the key points in Monitor's new Risk Assessment Framework, which replaces the Compliance Framework later this year.
28 August 2013 |
An overview for members of the issues impacting on the provider landscape now and in the next few months.
2 April 2013 |
This briefing was circulated to members on the day the government responded to the Francis Report recommendations.
19 December 2012 |
A summary of the key issues for providers in the NHS Commissioning Board's first planning guidance, and detail of how the FTN is taking forward these issues for members.